Sunday, November 14, 2010

11/14 Sunday!

It is already Sunday afternoon and I am relaxing at the house, finishing some worksheets for school and doing some reading. I enjoy using weekends for relaxation, but they are also a good time to "explore."  Yesterday, I first went with the basketball team to their game, which was at a public high school.  This school was HUGE, as we stood on the court which was in the middle of a large open area, surrounded by very big, old, rundown yet still in use, four-storied school building, I felt like I was in the Shawshank Redemption!  But it was good to see where education in the public schools here takes place. There seems to be a variety of schools in the city, so I am sure some of them are newer.

After the game, I took some time to walk the streets of our local neighborhood, called "tropicana," and I concentrated on simply opening my eyes to what life was like here. I am very much removed from "real" life of the average African, because I am staying at a nice house and working at a nice school.  I also visited one of the hostels where some of my students live. They treated me with this frozen drink-in-a-bag thing that really hit the spot! I think they were glad to see me, but first had to make sure they weren't in trouble!! ha.

Church was good today as well. The pastor spoke about how we are to respond when God gives us good things: we are to give our Lives to Him! What a great message for any believer. No matter what your life brings, there is no denying that the Lord has blessed you. There is only one proper response to blessings but material and spiritual, and that is giving our lives to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment